People nervous about whether or not they’ll be able to actually watch Sony’s The Interview, the film at the heart of the studio’s recent cyber attack, can rest a little easier. A Sony lawyer has made an official statement on the matter, and its largely a positive one.
Appearing on NBC’s Sunday morning talk show Meet the Press, Sony counsel David Boies was asked by Meet the Press host Chuck Todd about whether or not Sony would’ve been held liable if violence had broken out in an American movie theater had the film been released as planned. Boies answered that question while also making it clear that the film would not be held out by the studio indefinitely. He said,
I don’t know whether there would be liability or not. But what I know is, when you have physical threats against people’s lives, and there wasn’t anybody– these threats were public, okay? There wasn’t anybody stepping up when those threats were made and saying, “Oh no, we’re going to take care of this. We’re going to protect the public. We’re going to make sure that nothing happens there.
And in those circumstances, whether it’s a legal liability or not, I think you just have to be very careful with people’s lives. And remember, Sony only delayed this. Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed. It will be distributed. How it’s going to be distributed, I don’t think anybody knows quite yet. But it’s going to be distributed. And what Sony has been trying to do is to get the picture out to the public. But, at the same time, be sure that the rights of its employees and the rights of the movie-going public are protected.
This is a bit of a separation from Sony’s recent position, where they openly said that they didn’t know whether or not it would ever see release as recently as last week. With a fair amount of backlash coming at them about their decision to cancel the film’s release, coming from people of all statuses (from comedians and movie stars to the President of the United States), its not surprising that they would want to change their position to something that allows for an end result that many Americans want to see.
While the federal government continues to investigate the DPRK as the most likely suspect in the attack and coordinates with allies like China for assistance, Sony will still have to conduct business as usual. While digital distribution rumors surrounding the film have been renewed, as with everything, we’ll have to wait and see what happens going forward.
For more on the possible release of The Interview as it develops, be sure to keep a tab open to GeekNation.
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015