Recently, the long-rumored Space Jam sequel was finally confirmed to be happening after all, this time with Star Trek Beyond director, Justin Lin, at the helm and LeBron James set to play the Michael Jordan role in the new film. No other plot details were revealed, or what the sequel’s connection to the original might be, outside of its title alone.
Predictably (and understandably), fans of the original 1990s film weren’t all that happy about the sequel’s announcement, with many believing that the film would be unable to recapture the same magic and pop culture attention as the original.
It looks like fans weren’t alone either, as Space Jam director Joe Pytka shared his thoughts on the sequel with THR, warning that the project is already doomed:
“Don’t do it. It’s doomed. Michael Jordan was the biggest star on the planet.”
The point being James’ inability to live up to the same greatness and legend as Jordan, as James’ reputation is already starting to decrease compared to Steph Curry (in Pytka’s opinion), and there’s no telling what star power he’ll have in two years when the film is actually released.
“When we did Space Jam, there was a perfect storm of players and ex-players available — Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing. They all had a persona that complemented the film. There are none around like that now.”
Again, the air of skepticism surrounding the project since its announcement has been palpable, and it seems like Pytka is just echoing the same sentiments that many fans have already brought up, ever since James even first entered into the conversation for the sequel. Personally, I couldn’t care less about the sequel, if I’m being honest.. I think Lin is a talented filmmaker, but it seems like just yet another addition to the nostalgia train that Hollywood has been riding over the past few years. When it comes to Space Jam too, frankly its unnecessary, and mostly, unwanted.
Space Jam 2 does not currently have a release date.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016