If Devin Faraci of Badass Digest is shooting straight (and he usually is), then William Shatner – the original Captain Kirk himself – has a role written for him in the upcoming Star Trek film sequel.
I have learned that the script for Star Trek 3 includes a scene that re-teams Shatner and (Leonard) Nimoy onscreen as Kirk and Spock for the first time in canon since 1991’s Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It would be a pretty huge moment for fans of the franchise, and likely the last time we’ll ever see Shatner as James T. Kirk in official continuity.
Agreed. After the cameo that was written for him in the first reboot (and subesquently cut out of the script before shooting) and no suitable place in the sequel (Into Darkness) it seems third time will be the charm. That’s if writer/director Roberto Orci (who took over directing duties after J.J. Abrams departed to direct Star Wars: Episode VII) can get him to suit up in his old Kirk costume again.
We may not know if Shatner will actually be in the film until it’s released, considering Orci could have learned a “mystery box” lesson from Abrams and may try to keep things under wraps for the entirety of production, but the movie is scheduled to be released in 2016 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of “Trek,” so at most we only have two years to wait until we find out. I’ll cross my fingers and set my phaser to “PLEEEEEEEEASE!”
What say you…would you like to see the “galactic Blues Brothers” get back together again one last time?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015