The forthcoming Star Wars spin-off film that’s set to star Felicity Jones has now had new details shared this weekend at Star Wars Celebration.
According to Variety, Star Wars: Rogue One will take place in the era between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, after the Jedi Knights have been decimated and the Galactic Empire is tightening its grip around the galaxy. Director Gareth Edwards was on hand to detail that the film follows a rogue band of resistance fighters who will join forces in order to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire’s major weapon prominently featured in A New Hope. Because of the more grounded, militaristic presence, Edwards said that the film will try and go for a level of realism that’s different from many other Star Wars films. He said,
It comes down to a group who don’t have magical powers, who somehow have to bring hope to the galaxy.
Edwards also points out that the series is called Star WARS after all, and in that vein, it will behave very much like a war movie. A brief teaser was screened for the assembled crowd at Celebration, with Alec Guinness’ monologue from A New Hope about the “dark times” playing over a TIE Fighter flying toward the Death Star itself. In that vein, Jones is expected to star as a soldier for the Rebel Alliance. Greg Fraser, the director of photography on Kathryn Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty, will serve in that role on Rogue One, likely to help Edwards in capturing the grounded, militaristic feel he’s going for.
Star Wars: Rogue One — the first in the Anthology series of Star Wars films — will be released in December of 2016. For more on this as it develops, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015