Warning: Spoilers for those of you that have not seen Creed yet.
After making his big screen comeback last year with possibly the franchise’s best outing to date, it looks like Rocky Balboa may have finally reached the end of his rope.
Despite receiving an Oscar nomination for his performance in Ryan Coogler’s Creed, Sylvester Stallone doesn’t sound too sure about Balboa’s fate moving forwards, or if audiences will ever see him again. Yeah, you hear that sad music? That’s the sound of all of us reluctantly agreeing with him. After all, Creed‘s ending would be one hell of a way to say goodbye to one of cinema’s most lovable heroes.
While speaking at the Santa Barbara Film Festival, Stallone spoke on Rocky’s future onscreen. Check out his full quote below (via Variety):
“I really have mixed feelings about this, seriously. I feel like Rocky, at the end of this movie on the steps, with the help of a young man, and he looks out and says, ‘From here, you can see your whole life’ — it sort of summarizes the whole thing. I don’t know how much further you can push Rocky.”
Here’s the thing: Stallone is right. The ending of Creed, on the Philadelphia steps talking about the entirety of his life, was not only a full-circle arc for the character to make throughout the franchise, but provided the kind of emotional catharsis that not many onscreen characters can receive.
I think that the best thing to do with the franchise is let Rocky go, and have the sequel focus on purely Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) and living up to his father’s legacy, similar to the Godfather 2 structure that Stallone mentioned a few months ago. I don’t know if I want my last image of Rocky to be anything other than him standing on those steps with Adonis because I loved it that much.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016