It looks like the team behind The Purge 2 are really pushing to get the sequel to this summer’s surprise hit moving right along – if only to better capitalize on audience interest and to provide the masses with a snappy sequel next summer (and maybe to pick up those tax incentives we mentioned earlier?).
First up, a pair of male television stars from beloved properties. Michael K. Williams, star of both The Wire and Boardwalk Empire will join Zach Gilford, best known for his work on Friday Night Lights, in the film. Also joining the film are two lovely ladies who have starred in less well-known film properties, including Carmen Ejogo (Sparkle) and Kiele Sanchez (A Perfect Getaway). As of now, none of their exact roles have been disclosed, but we’re willing to bet at least two of them get paired up in a couple (does this matter? Probably not, but we’re desperate for insights here).
Details on the plot of the film are being kept under wraps, but we do know that it’s set in the same universe where all crime is legal for a single, annual 12-hour period (that’s, you know, that eponymous purge). While the first film primarily focused on one family’s experience during the purge, keeping the action house-bound, here’s hoping that this new film expands out, giving us a deeper look at what happens on the streets during the lawless half-day.
The Purge 2 will hit theaters on June 20, 2014. Prepare your best masks.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014