Since 1993, Magic: The Gathering has confused, delighted, and drawn in millions of fans around the world with a first-of-its-kind trading card game that pits planeswalkers (a.k.a. “wizards”) against each other by throwing spells, artifacts, and creatures to inflict as much damage as possible…all through the use of a deck of cards in a player’s hand and a very complex set of rules.
For years, talk of an M:TG film (much like Gears Of War and Halo live-action films) had run rampant, leaving M:TG fans wondering if it was even a good idea anymore. Well, keep wondering – but stay positive – because Fox is moving forward with the Magic: The Gathering film and has brought in screenwriter Simon Kinberg (X-Men: The Last Stand, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, X-Men: Days of Future Past) as a producer to help develop of the film.
Before you get nervous, I hear from Variety that Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner, Hasbro Studios president Stephen Davis, and Wizards of the Coast (creators of M:TG) CEO Greg Leeds will oversee and executive produce. Seems like the project’s in pretty good hands. At least they won’t be making major decisions that don’t align with the mythology of the game without the game’s creators giving them the go-ahead.
Fox says they’re looking to make the M:TG film as epic in tale and scope as the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings franchises; all I can say is “good luck!” and hope no one throws the Armageddon card.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015